English   |   Suomi
www.motocaching.net
New here? Consider registering. It's easy and free! There are lots of features for registered users.

Motorcycle ride details

Click on picture for larger view

St David's Cathedral

    
Magnificent cathedral in the smallest city of Britain
A cache by : jlik

This has not yet been found

Address : The Pebbles 7, Saint David's, United Kingdom     Google maps

St David's Cathedral (one of Britain's oldest cathedrals) is situated in St Davids in the county of Pembrokeshire, on the most westerly point of Wales. The city of St. Davids is in such a remote area of Britain that the visitor might well wonder why the site was chosen for a cathedral. The answer is that it all began with a monk, who chose the site for its seclusion.

In the 6th century, a monk named Dewi founded a monastery in the once-deserted area where St. David's Cathedral now stands. As he spread Christianity in the area, he might be considered the Welsh version of St. Patrick. Construction of the present cathedral began in 1181 and was completed shortly thereafter. In 1220, the tower collapsed because of an earthquake in 1247. Weak foundations and the effects of the earthquake have caused the walls at the west end of the nave to lean outwards. A new shrine to St. David was built in 1275 and the ruined base of it can still be seen. More modifications were made to the building in the fourteenth century and in 1365, the Bishop and son of King Edward III of England began building St. Mary’s College and other buildings. From 1530-1540 the wooden nave roof and ceiling were constructed. In 1538, the bishop stripped St. David’s shrine of its jewels and confiscated the saint’s bones to counteract “superstition”.

In 1540, the body of Edmund Tudor, Earl of Richmond and father of King Henry VII of England was taken from the dissolved Greyfriars Priory in Carmarthen to St. David’s and entombed in front of the High Altar. The Commonwealth forces under Oliver Cromwell in the seventeenth century nearly destroyed the cathedral. In 1793, the Welsh architect John Nash was hired to restore the damage that had been done to the West Front during the Commonwealth. His work proved to be substandard and a century later the work was so unstable, the whole building had to be restored. This renovation lasted from 1862-1877. The cathedral has been maintained and some buildings rebuilt since then.

In addition to the cathedral you should visit the city which is a beautiful and unique city surrounded by some of the finest coastline in Europe.


You must answer this question to log your find :

What is the first word in the name of the cathedral in Welsh language (six letters - starts with e)? The correct answer can be found on an information board next to the entrance of the cathedral.

Published :  03/04/2015 (d/m/y) 10:25

Please note that it is possible that the information on this page is not accurate or not up to date. Rules or regulations that are not mentioned here may apply when visiting the place or the conditions on the location may have changed.

Found it? Comment?

  • Log 'found it' or comment...