Found 1 times (last time was 28/04/2018 (d/m/y) )
Shown when there are at least four ratings.
This castle was founded by the Livonian order in 1272 as a defensive crusader fortress. It is also been in order by polish, swedish and russians. The castle was burnt and the interiors destroyed in the Great Northern war between 1700-1721. But after the war with the help of Russian Emperor Peter the Great they made the castle glorious again.
It was almost totally destroyed in the second world war. The church, some parts of the wall and some annexes have been restored so we can enjoy them now.
By Väino Valdmann - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0 ee, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=21764189
Take a walk in the castle area.
|Published :||11/02/2016 (d/m/y) 11:51|
Please note that it is possible that the information on this page is not accurate or not up to date. Rules or regulations that are not mentioned here may apply when visiting the place or the conditions on the location may have changed.
Bigger map (motocaching page)