Found 4 times (last time was 30/05/2019 (d/m/y) )
The ruins of the Ungru manor used to represent one of the most impressive Neo-Baroque buildings in Estonia, although it never was really finished.
The Ungru Manor was an almost exact copy of the Merseburg Castle in Germany.
This manor was built in the 1890s on the site of a manor that had been there since the 1500s. As the story tells, the son of Ungru’s owner visited Merseburg Castle and fell in love with the princess there. He proposed, but the princess was fond of her father’s castle, she claimed that she was going to stay there forever, so the son returned home and vowed to recreate the German castle for beloved lady. He went back to Estonia and began construction. But before the interior could be finished, news came that the princess had died. The son himself died not long after in 1908. The house was left incomplete and without an owner.
The manor stayed empty and was slowly pillaged by local scavengers.
After World War II the manor fell into the hands of Soviet troops, in 1968 the chief of the airport decided to use the ruins of the manor to fill in the holes in the runway.
The ruins of Ungru Manor are still visible from the road.
Photo by Zinnmann – Üleslaadija oma töö, CC BY-SA 3.0 de, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12047018
check out the manor
|Published :||19/05/2018 (d/m/y) 22:55|
Please note that it is possible that the information on this page is not accurate or not up to date. Rules or regulations that are not mentioned here may apply when visiting the place or the conditions on the location may have changed.
Bigger map (motocaching page)